The answer to the question posed in the title is a lot simpler than it may seem. In the very early days of the University’s life, all the way back to the foundation of the University of Glasgow in 1451, the University was initially based in a charterhouse at the Glasgow Cathedral.
Today, the University Coat of Arms can be seen on side of two front pews in the Glasgow Cathedral, a throwback to the connection between the Cathedral and the University. The other pews are decorated with the Coat of Arms of financers, trade unions, and other groups associated with the Cathedral at one time or another.
[Poll #6: What is the UGLIEST BUILDING at Glasgow University?] Click on the photo above for a larger version. Please rate the photo below! © 2009 GlasgowUniPhoto.com