Down on Dumbarton Road, at the southern corner of the Western Infirmary, sits an Italianate building surrounded by 1960’s brick and concrete. Anderson College, on this day back in 1947, became a part of the University of Glasgow. The above is a relief from the side that lies next to Dumbarton Road.
Although Anderson College has been a part of the University of Glasgow for 62 years, it has existed since 1800 as a medical school, having been located at this particular building since 1889. Today it forms a part of the Molecular Genetics Division of the Institute of Biomedical and Life Sciences.
More “On This Day” entries can be found on Glasgow University Story website at universitystory.gla.ac.uk maintained by the Archive Services. Information also from University Story site.
[Poll #5: What is the Nicest Building at Glasgow University?] Click on the photo above for a larger version. Please rate the photo below! © 2009 GlasgowUniPhoto.com