The Lion and Unicorn Staircase
On this day in 1690, the Lion and Unicorn Staircase was completed at the Old College of the University of Glasgow. The staircase itself already existed, but a mason was hired in the summer of 1690 to erect the stone balusters and the figurines of the lion and the unicorn on the stairs. The stairs led from the Outer Court to the Fore Common Hall and the Principal’s Residence. When the University moved its campus from High Street to its current location on Gilmorehill in the 1870s, several aspects of the Old College were moved brick by brick across the city and are now incorporated into the Pearce Lodge and the Gilbert Scott Building. As such, these are the two oldest parts of the University. More on the Lion and Unicorn Staircase tomorrow.
More “On This Day” entries can be found on Glasgow University Story website at universitystory.gla.ac.uk, maintained by the Archive Services. Information also from University Story site.
[Summer 2010 Poll: Where Are You From?] Click on the photo above for a larger version. Please rate the photo below! © 2010 GlasgowUniPhoto.com