Sir Charles Wilson Building
Built in 1889 as the Hillhead Congregational Church, this building at the corner of University Avenue and Gibson Street was bought by the University of Glasgow in 2004 and converted into an educational and conference facility with a 300-seat lecture theatre (which is probably the nicest around campus) and seminar rooms. The Sir Charles Wilson Building, which opened in its current form in late 2005, is named after Sir Charles Haynes Wilson (1909-2002), who graduated from Glasgow University in 1932 and served as the University’s Principal and Vice-Chancellor from 1961 to 1976.
There’s also a Charles Wilson Building at the University of Leicester, where Charles Wilson was Principal of University College Leicester, and Vice-Chancellor from 1957, when it became the University of Leicester, until coming to the University of Glasgow in 1961.
[Sept-Oct 2010 Poll: What societies have you been a member of at Glasgow University?] Click on the photo above for a larger version. Please rate the photo below! © 2010 GlasgowUniPhoto.com