The Randolph Buildings
The central section of the University’s Main Building is comprised of mainly Bute Hall, named after John Patrick Crichton-Stuart, the third Marquis of Bute. Randolph, whose name is given (or used to be given) to the structure between the Quadrangles, refers to Charles Randolph (1809-1878), a shipbuilder and politician. In 1877, both Randolph and Marquis of Bute contributed to the University, finances which allowed for the construction of the hall and the separation of the Quadrangles. The Marquis of Bute is remembered in the name of the great hall, while Randolph is remembered in the name of the anteroom to Bute Hall and the staircase at the southern end of the Main Building.
[Nov-Dec 2010 Poll: Should the University Library be open 24 hours a day?] Click on the photo above for a larger version. Please rate the photo below! © 2010 GlasgowUniPhoto.com