Inscription on the John McIntyre Building
This building erected for the use and benefit of the students of Glasgow by John McIntyre M.D., Odinham, Hampshire, a former student of this University, is dedicated to the memory of his beloved wife Anne, daughter of the late Francis Tweddell Esquire of Threepwood, Northumberland. 1887
The Glasgow University Union was formally opened in the John McIntyre Building on this day in 1890, almost to the day 40 years before it moved down the street to it’s current housing. After the GUU the John McIntyre Building housed the Queen Margaret Union, followed by the Students’ Representative Council. In other words, the John McIntyre Building has served its purpose ever since it was built.
More “On This Day” entries can be found on Glasgow University Story website at universitystory.gla.ac.uk maintained by the Archive Services. Information also from University Story site.
[Nov-Dec 2010 Poll: Should the University Library be open 24 hours a day?] Click on the photo above for a larger version. Please rate the photo below! © 2010 GlasgowUniPhoto.com